Guluwoman and a Guluboy

Guluwoman and a Guluboy

I travelled hand-in-hand with HYPOHEALS (non profit association that set up a small photography and video school in Gulu as a tool of integration for ex-child soldiers). This is the starting point of these photographic notes, as I didn’t travel to photograph a specific story. Our objective was to teach and work with the children in the school. A school, hard-earned, full of the dreams of many people who struggled to make it work. Today it no longer exists but the experience with the children was incredible.

I travelled there in Christmas 2012. Now that I think of it, in reality it was a journey of self-discovery and of confronting my own fears. After 7 years not getting on a plane for fear of flying I undertook a journey of 8000 km, 4 flights of therapy without moving. We landed in Entebbe.

The first stop was at the fisherman’s port of Entebbe (Lake Victoria), my first slap in the face in many respects. I think I have never felt so white and pristine, so different, with me being the one who didn’t fit in… backdrops with little contrast, a fascinating experience to which I was to add many others but given the circumstances of the trip, got left behind.

The second stop – Kampala. Here we collected Irene, a student of Hypoheals who was finishing her studies as administrative assistant and was returning to spend Christmas in Gulu where she lived in a community. Why? There is no sign of her biological father and her mother died during the war. Her grandparents act as her parents. They have ample land where, like Irene, there are many other children whom they have adopted. Irene is fascinating. Twenty-four years old, a woman with a strong character and preoccupations that make her different from what you would expect from a woman there. When we arrived in Gulu we went directly to her house. She wanted to introduce us to her parents… instant. The last thing I could imagine was that two days later her grandmother (mother) a healthy woman was to die from a heart attack. It changed the whole trip.

Five nights mourning a body that was not there, only a fire in front of the house. Every afternoon after finishing classes we went to her house. The men were seated, absorbed in working out the costs and the women waited and gazed at a fire burning in the ground. Every day they brought us to the niche they were contracting with our help. Irene does not believe in God. She says that if he exists how could he allow so much injustice, but she is true to the tradition of burying your relatives near their homes. She thinks there is nothing better to protect her. Irene pleaded for me to photograph the funeral.

Third stop, the road and the night…..which could quite easily be the road and day time, afternoon, midday. What really struck me was this moving. I have never seen a more explicit representation of nomadism. Each step a story. I was constantly trying, at the group’s reluctance, to stop and take photos. At night it is not safe. If some day I return to Africa, the roads will be the centre of my exploration and my curiosity.

“My dear coal bunkers” … at every corner there were groups of them in rows with their stalls. Every day I noticed this family, 4 generations of them I learned later. I couldn’t leave without talking to them. One afternoon I approached with my broken English. The matriarch ignored me completely. I suppose she thought I only wanted to take their photo and leave, like many others. Finally she said, “If you want, we can chat but I am thirsty”. I left. When I came back with some soft drinks and plonked myself on top of the coal, she split her sides laughing. Covering her mouth because she was missing several teeth she said that she liked chocolate and that’s why she had lost her teeth. She made it clear that I was to make her look good. This wasn’t difficult because she had tremendous features, but I couldn’t stop looking at her enormous feet. I spent more than 16 hours there each day, with her daughters, grand-daughters and great-grandchildren. Once again time and objectives worked against me, but I warmly treasure one photo frame. The day we left at 7am I impulsively hung out the window to wave goodbye and they all jumped up in one leap, shouting, laughing and waving their hands until they diminished in size and disappeared.

The fifth, (five is my lucky number), but this is not a story that enchants me. I think I was never so distressed in all my life. Janita, a friend of Irene’s, my goodness, another fantastic woman. When I met her I thought “What on earth!” She came out of her shack looking as if she had just crossed Picadilly Circus. She worked on a radio youth programme in the mornings and sang in hotels for whites, Benidorm style. Sounds like a spoof, but it isn’t. This wasn’t just singing, this was explosive. On our last day she suggested doing a fashion photo session in the cultural centre. Suddenly everything took a turn for the worse, so much so that we were reported to the district police for being “depraved” – they wanted money, obviously. The next day Janita was taken to the police station and by then we were in Kampala. They frightened and threatened her. Today Janita lives in Buffalo (USA) with an uncle and she is happy.

I cannot say that Africa changed me. I was only in one small part of the immense continent. I didn’t fall in love with Africa. I fell in love with those moments and I loathed many circumstances.

Guluwoman and a Guluboy

Viajé de la mano de HYPOHEALS (asociación sin ánimo de lucro, que montó una pequeña escuela de foto y vídeo en Gulu como herramienta de integración para niños ex soldado). Este es el punto de partida de estas anotaciones fotográficas; no viajé para fotografiar una historia en concreto, nuestro objetivo era enseñar y trabajar con los chavales de la escuela. Un escuela muy peleada, llena de la ilusión de muchas personas que nos esforzamos para que funcionara. Hoy ya no existe.

Fui las navidades de 2012. Ahora lo pienso y en realidad fue un viaje hacia mí y todos mis miedos, después de 7 años sin montarme en un avión, me hice una terapia de 8000km y 4 aviones para no moverme de mí misma. Aterrizamos en Entebbe (Uganda).

La primera parada fue en el puerto de pescadores de Entebbe (Lago Victoria), … mi primer bofetón en muchos aspectos, imagino que nunca me he sentido tan blanca y pulcra, tan diferente y sobre todo siendo yo un elemento que no cuadraba allí… Un rincón fascinante que se sumaría a tantos que por las circunstancias del viaje quedó atrás.

Segunda parada: Kampala, allí recogimos a Irene una estudiante de Hypoheals que terminaba sus clases de administrativo y regresaba a pasar la navidad en Gulu, vive en un poblado en comunidad, ¿por qué?; de su padre biológico ni rastro y su madre murió durante la guerra, sus padres son sus abuelos… tienen un amplio terreno en el que como Irene hay muchos otros niños a los que han adoptado. Irene es fascinante… veintitantos años, una mujer con una fuerte personalidad e inquietudes que la diferencian de lo que se espera en África de una mujer. Cuando llegamos a Gulu fuimos directos a su casa, quería presentarnos a sus padres… fue un instante; lo último que me podía imaginar es que su abuela (madre) una mujer saludable, dos días después moriría de un infarto… esto cambió todo el viaje.

Cinco noches velando un cuerpo que no estaba, solo un fuego frente a la casa… todas las tardes al terminar las clases nos acercábamos allí… los hombres estaban sentados en sus sillas enfrascados en hacer cuentas y las mujeres esperaban y velaban el fuego sentadas en el suelo. Cada día nos hacían visitar el nicho que estaban construyendo con nuestra aportación. Irene no cree en Dios, dice que si existe cómo puede permitir tantas injusticias… pero sí es fiel a la tradición de enterrar a sus familiares al lado de sus casas, piensa que no hay nadie mejor que pueda protegerla. Irene me pidió que por favor fotografiara el funeral.

Tercera parada: los caminos y la noche… que perfectamente podrían ser los caminos y el día, la tarde, el medio día…  lo que más me impactó fue ese tránsito humano, no he visto una representación más explícita del nomadismo. Cada paso una historia. Siempre intentaba a regañadientes del resto del grupo pararme un instante a hacer fotos, pero la noche no es muy segura. Si algún día vuelvo a algún lugar de África, mis preguntas y mi interés estarán en los caminos.

‘Mis queridas carboneras’… en cada rincón tenías filas de grupos de ellas con sus tenderetes. Todos los días me fijaba en esta familia, 4 generaciones de mujeres… esto lo supe después. No podía marcharme sin charlar con ellas. Una tarde me acerqué con mi inglés de andar por casa, la matriarca me ignoró por completo, imagino que pensaría que solo quería hacerles fotos y marcharme como muchos otros… finalmente me dijo: “Si quieres charlamos pero tengo sed…” Cuando llegué con unas sodas en la mano y planté mi trasero encima del carbón ella se moría de la risa, se tapaba la boca porque le faltaban unos cuantos dientes, me decía que le gustaba el chocolate y que por eso los había perdido. Me dejó claro que debía sacarle guapa, no era difícil porque tenía unos rasgos increíbles, pero yo lo que no podía dejar de mirar eran sus enormes pies. Pasaban más de 16 horas cada día allí, con su hijas, nietas y biznietos…. Otra vez el tiempo y los objetivos fueron en mi contra, pero guardo con cariño un fotograma, el día que nos marchábamos a las 7 am al pasar junto a ellas saqué impulsivamente medio cuerpo por la ventana para despedirme, se levantaron de un brinco, gritaban, sonreían y sacudían sus manos hasta hacerse pequeñas y desaparecer.

La quinta, el cinco es mi número preferido pero no es esta una historia que me fascine. Creo que no he pasado tanta angustia nunca. Jaynita, amiga de Irene… madre mía otra súper mujer… cuando la conocí pensé ¿what?, salía de su choza y parecía que acababa de cruzar ‘Picadilly Circus’. Ella trabajaba por las mañanas en un programa de la radio juvenil, y cantaba en hoteles de blancos tipo Benidorm (parece una coña, pero era así) bueno eso no es cantar, es ser una bestia. El último día que estuvimos allí nos propuso hacer una sesión de fotos de moda en el centro cultural. Todo se complicó en un instante, tanto como para denunciarnos a la policía del distrito por ¿depravados?, querían dinero. Al día siguiente se llevaron a Janita a la comisaría del distrito, nosotros ya estábamos en Kampala… la asustaron, la amenazaron. Hoy Janita vive en Búfalo con un tío suyo, y es feliz.

No puedo decir que África me cambió, yo solo he estado en un trocito de un continente inmenso. No me enamoré de África, amé esos instantes, y aborrecí muchísimas circunstancias.

Nuestro objetivo fue grabar un vídeo-clip, ya que la Productora Catalana Ovideo donó una cámara de vídeo profesional para la escuela, se trataba de hacer el proyecto y registrar cómo los alumnos trabajaban, el vídeo, la fotografía, etc. Contactamos con un cantante local que hacía un par años realizó un ‘Hit’ que todo el mundo conocía, el artista era Tam Noffy y al que acompañó Jaynita en representación de la mujer, además de los alumnos y la comunidad local de Gulu.